Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cliché Watch: Stomping

This will be a recurring feature.  Clichés are dangerous only when we're not aware of them; they come into our brains easily and let us believe we are excellent because--and I think this is really the vital bit--we think we are inventing them.  When a white person on TV uses rap slang ironically he really thinks it will be funny or fresh.  He's terribly wrong.  So I'll use this feature to point out clichés as I see them, this is not the same as saying that the things I list are bad, they are just henceforth unusable.

So, Stomping.  I don't really know why, but it's very important to march and/or stomp in place in abstract or "avant garde" theater.  This is not nice to watch, let's stop it.  Yes, even in Harolds.  It's just a little bit stupid.  Maybe marching makes for a good warm-up...listen, I'm not really trying to say there's no place for stomping, just not onstage.

No comments: